Re: [Solved] Could not find mime type (Sorry pop-up spamming)

On Wednesday 29 January 2020 05:23:18 pm Dave Lers wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > On Monday 27 January 2020 12:00:56 pm Michael wrote:
> >> I made one change last weekend to mime types (added ".bat" to
> >> KWrite) and
>
> To tell TDE what to do with .bat files (or any other file extensions):
> Right click a .bat file and select properties, click the wrench icon,
> add the application(s) you want to use to open .bat files.

Hi Dave,

That's actually the exact steps I used to start this whole thing.  I did find
out later that isn’t really the preferred way, as then it becomes hard to
find the change later.  The seemingly recommend way is to go into File
Associations and add the extension to the existing group/item it fits under.

Using wanting to edit DOS batch files as the example (e.g. add .bat to
text/plain) :

TCC >> TDE Components >> File Associations

In “Known Types”
Click ‘text’
Click ‘plain’

In “Filename Patterns”
Click ‘Add...’
Type ‘*.bat’
Click OK
Click ‘Add...’
Type ‘*.BAT’
Click OK

Like most of *nix there’s more than one way to do it, so the .bat extension
could have also been added to something like application/kwrite.  I’d
probably prefer this last method, but my system (stock MX18/TDE) doesn’t have
anything like  application/kwrite.

User mime types are stored in ~/.trinity/share/mimelnk .  Running find doesn’t
find anything there either:

# find * -type f -iname "*kw*"
application/x-kword.desktop
# find * -type f -iname "*tde*"
# find * -type f -iname "*kons*"
application/x-konsole.desktop
#

Konsole exists, but I’d guess TDE never updated mime types to TDE naming, nor
probably has done anything with the defaults?