Re: making desktop size sticky?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 11:56:24 -0700
"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've installed TDE on a new system running debian stable.
>
> X is starting correctly with screen size 1920x1200, but every time when I log
> in, I'm presented with a TDE desktop of size 1024x768 and have to resize it.
>
> So I'm wondering:
>   1. Where is the value 1024x768 coming from?

It may be one of the built-in modes X uses when it fails to query your system.
If this is a desktop system, try hooking it up to a different monitor just to see
if it's failing an EDID query or something.

>   2. How do I change it so that the TDE desktop starts at 1920x1200, so that I
> don't need to modify it manually each time?

First, run "xrandr -q" at the command line.  That will tell you what screen you're
using, what modes are available, and what the refesh rates are.

Use cvt to create a modeline for the resolution you want, based on this information.

Verify that you can set your desired mode using "xrandr --newmode [modeline info]".

There are three things you can do with the information at this point:

Include the whole modeline in your xorg.conf, as in this example:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier      "Monitor0"
    Modeline        "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
    Option          "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Identifier      "Screen0"
    Device          "Card0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth           24
        Modes   "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Your current xorg.conf may be failing because you only specified a resolution, and
not the rest.

Or add the xrandr --newmode command to ~/.xprofile, which will then be executed
when your user logs in.

Or slip the xrandr --newmode command into some script file in your system's/the
X server's/TDE's startup sequence—somewhere near the middle of the starttde
script would be one possible place, although you might prefer to look for whatever
your distro uses to bring up the display manager, to have it activate earlier.

Hopefully one of these things will work for you.

E. Liddell