Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] Re: [BULK] [trinity-users] Re: [BULK] [trinity-users] more on my kmail 100% problemns

On Saturday 19 October 2019 15:30:44 Michael wrote:

> On Saturday 19 October 2019 02:03:49 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 October 2019 13:54:54 deloptes wrote:
> > > Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > If those rm's and mv's from outside of kmails knowledge, were
> > converted to dbus commands to be executed by kmail, then nothing
> > would disturb its database but kmails own actions.
> >
> > So, where do I find the real docs on how kmail responds to commands
> > sent over dbus? That seems to be a secret, and it sucks dead toads
> > thru soda straws. I just now rechecked the Handbook, and it has zero
> > mention of dbus.  So please explain how, and I WILL fix my scripts.
>
> I always did dbus by trial and error.  The command line really, really
> sucks, so try to find a GUI tool to test with and then it’s fairly
> easy to translate what works to command line for your scripts.
>
> I used qdbusviewer in the past, it worked well but I think it’s dead?
>
> I’ve seen D-Feet [1] referenced, never used it.
> https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/DFeet
>
> Here’s stack’s answer to “DBUS Message/Signal Viewer Tools”
>
> https://askubuntu.com/a/505959

But there is no corresponding tome on dcop, but I did eventually stumble
over kdcop, which is tde's version of kdcop, the only apparent diff
being a tde credit line at the top of the file.  This seems to give a
couple of command lists when expanded, showing expected synatx to use.

But kdcop claims they all have a null return. Sensibly for instance when
you query for a list, one would expect at least a csv style list to be
returned to the shell requesting the list.  So the utility itself is
incomplete, or kmails responce code was never written.  And the tde
handbooks entry for dcop is a one page apology because the handbook for
dcop has never been written.

And that only confirms my opinion of Ingo Klocker's inability to herd the
bunch of cats he is in charge of at kde, to get the docs written and
bugs fixed.  Only truly showstopper bugs were ever looked at, and
sometimes fixed. Thats why tde was forked in the first place, and lots
of bugs have since been fixed. Thats rather hugely appreciated at this
campsite.

But is there any realistic hope of fixing kdcop and getting its Docs?
written too?  That last can be exceedingly difficult without
figuratively installing an rj45 jack into the original coders brain.

Been there, done that, lots of frustration trying to "get into the
authors brain" while running down and fixing his mistakes.  Having done
that quite a few times when carving code was much simpler, I now, at 85
yo, bow down in awe of those who can do it.  And you'll get a hand
cooler if you show up at my front door, even if its my last one...

Thank you all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis