Re: folder problen in kmail

On Friday 29 March 2019 10:05:47 Michael wrote:

> On Friday 29 March 2019 08:40:37 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Now to add the final insult of this crazy story, I looked at, but
> > changed nothing {snip}
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Like you I have multiple folders with 50+k messages (a rolling 2
> months of a server's 'utterances,' so multiple folders is a not really
> an option).  I've lived with kmail doing the 100% of a cpu for an hour
> at startup for years and from this list I've gotten the fuzzy notion
> it's related to some index problem.  I’ve done cleanup activities
> multiple times, but no real luck ‘fixing’ the issue.

Same here. I've alway blamed it on the size of the email corpus here, as
some of it goes back to 2001.  Several gigabytes.

> > I looked at, but changed
> > nothing in the emc folders propertries, but instead of clicking on
> > cancel, I clicked on "OK"
>
> Would you fully explain what you did here?  I’d guess ‘emc’ is a
> folder you have, but I’d rather have what steps you truly preformed so
> I can try the exact same thing.

I left clicked the folder name, chose properties, didn't see anything
unusual but clicked ok, not cancel. It took the gui about a minute to
come back to life. But it didn't turn out to be fixed, the next time I
scanned that folder, it took about a minute to scan, and that same 27
msgs were once again unmarked and showing as unread.

My setup here has offloaded all external mail fetching from kmail, using
fetchmail instead which passes off to procmail for the spam and virus
checks. The only connection kmail gets from all that is a notification
to go get, from /var/mail, the name of the mailfile to read via dbus, so
kmails mail retrieval never hits the cable.  Thats accomplished by
having inotifywait watching that directory. When a new mail has coming
and procmail puts it in /var/mail, its only a millisecond or so before
that file is zeroed out, but fetchmail takes a 3 minute snooze between
fetch runs. So I'm not pounding on my isp's mailserver.

Thats my story. Copy of the mailwatcher bash script on request.

> Thanks,
> Michael

> list messages on the web archive:
> http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ Please remember not to