Re: kmail, next update request?

On Friday 11 January 2019 11:16:51 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 11 January 2019 10:21:43 Stefan Krusche wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2019 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > On the next kmail update would it be possible to add a popup for
> > > the case of the indice fixing when it gets lost?
> > >
> > > The time lag between clicking on the OK in that event, can be long
> > > enough you've forgotten you started kmail once already, and its
> > > cpu load while doing that is quite minimal, and I suspect half or
> > > more of my indice problems are probably caused by two copies of
> > > kmail fighting over the indice files.
> >
> > Hi Gene,
> >
> > are you really sure you have two instances of kmail running under
> > that circumstances?!  I have never seen two instances running
> > simultaneously. When I try to launch a second instance of kmail it
> > doesn't do so, it just switches to the already running instance…
> >
> > M2C
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Stefan
>
> Well, I just had htop send a terminate to the highest process # of 5
> copies of kmail it can see. Killed it all.
>
> Restarted it from the tde most popular app list, see 2 copies running
> with both useing some cpu. and it reports the same bad index for one
> folder at restart. At this point I see 2 copies of kmail running, but
> when it has rebuilt the index for the emc directory, which currently
> holds a bit north of 58k messages, then I see 5 copies running, but
> only the first copy is actually showing cpu time.  And its
> resurrecting read messages as new, unread. I can cycle thru them,
> reducing the unread count to zero, but then go to another list, and
> come back after having read its unread, and by then this folder has
> the same 3 (could be 40+) that I've already read and replied to, are
> once again marked unread. I've checked perms and such but I own the
> whole several gigabyte corpus of email, so I can't point any fingers
> at that for a cause.
>
> So whats doing it?
>
> This has been over the years, an ongoing problem when the number of
> messages in a given directory is in the modulo 60000 range. I have
> another list thats nearly 130k messages, gave me an identical problem
> for about a month about 18 months back. Then it got well, and hasn't
> done it in quite a spell now. Note that I abuse kmail a bit, I do have
> a procmail recipe or 3 that put bad stuff directly in the spam folder,
> and an sa-learn script that cleans out the spam-hold directory, feeds
> the spam to sa-learn and then moves the spam to a spam-hold folder
> that I review daily in case I want to rescue something miss-filed, so
> I am used to a spam and spam-hold index's needing a rebuild, but thats
> rarely more than 10 messages in either folder so that pair of indices
> being rebuilt is only a second or so
>
> Now this started up about a week ago. And I thought maybe this was a
> good time to see if we can spot the rat somehow.

Further info: A read email in this directory doesn't get a :2,S appended
to its filename. Adding that by hand converts it into a read mail,
apparently forever.

What can be made of that? The directory currently has:
gene@coyote:~/Mail/emc/cur$ ls -l |wc -l
58868
files in it.

But another even bigger directory:
gene@coyote:~/Mail/emc/cur$ ls -l ../../coco/cur|wc -l
107784

has no such problems now for several years. It did have a similar problem
when it was about that size back when it was the old kde version.

> > list messages on the web archive:
> > http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ Please remember not to
> > top-post:
> > http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/mailing_lists/#top-posting