Re: kmail, next update request?

On Friday 11 January 2019 10:21:43 Stefan Krusche wrote:

> Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2019 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > On the next kmail update would it be possible to add a popup for the
> > case of the indice fixing when it gets lost?
> >
> > The time lag between clicking on the OK in that event, can be long
> > enough you've forgotten you started kmail once already, and its cpu
> > load while doing that is quite minimal, and I suspect half or more
> > of my indice problems are probably caused by two copies of kmail
> > fighting over the indice files.
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> are you really sure you have two instances of kmail running under that
> circumstances?!  I have never seen two instances running
> simultaneously. When I try to launch a second instance of kmail it
> doesn't do so, it just switches to the already running instance…
>
> M2C
>
> Kind regards,
> Stefan

Well, I just had htop send a terminate to the highest process # of 5
copies of kmail it can see. Killed it all.

Restarted it from the tde most popular app list, see 2 copies running
with both useing some cpu. and it reports the same bad index for one
folder at restart. At this point I see 2 copies of kmail running, but
when it has rebuilt the index for the emc directory, which currently
holds a bit north of 58k messages, then I see 5 copies running, but only
the first copy is actually showing cpu time.  And its resurrecting read
messages as new, unread. I can cycle thru them, reducing the unread
count to zero, but then go to another list, and  come back after having
read its unread, and by then this folder has the same 3 (could be 40+)
that I've already read and replied to, are once again marked unread.
I've checked perms and such but I own the whole several gigabyte corpus
of email, so I can't point any fingers at that for a cause.

So whats doing it?

This has been over the years, an ongoing problem when the number of
messages in a given directory is in the modulo 60000 range. I have
another list thats nearly 130k messages, gave me an identical problem
for about a month about 18 months back. Then it got well, and hasn't done
it in quite a spell now. Note that I abuse kmail a bit, I do have a
procmail recipe or 3 that put bad stuff directly in the spam folder, and
an sa-learn script that cleans out the spam-hold directory, feeds the
spam to sa-learn and then moves the spam to a spam-hold folder that I
review daily in case I want to rescue something miss-filed, so I am used
to a spam and spam-hold index's needing a rebuild, but thats rarely more
than 10 messages in either folder so that pair of indices being rebuilt
is only a second or so

Now this started up about a week ago. And I thought maybe this was a good
time to see if we can spot the rat somehow.

> list messages on the web archive:
> http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ Please remember not to
> top-post:
> http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/mailing_lists/#top-posting