Re: wireless interface not recognized on boot

On Wednesday 31 October 2018 05:01:13 pm William Morder wrote:
> My connection issues also used to get worse over time; then I would
> reinstall my system, and everything would be fine once more, and only
> deteriorate over several weeks or so.

> A direct connection is not possible; wireless internet service is available
> to tenants in my building (although I'm sure that, by now, in my
> neighborhood, everybody's dog has cracked our insecure password).

> Another interesting detail: I tried using an old Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron
> live CD to boot the computer, and it also did not recognize my wireless
> connection

Hi Bill,

This scenario is possible, but I’m not real sure on how probable...

It’s easy enough to use Aircrack, or similar, to hack about any wireless.
You’d need to actually dig up the exact details, but I believe the way it
works is it piggybacks off an existing MAC/IP/Session (e.g. you) and then
mimics your MAC address from then on.  I’d guess the building’s router is
setup to ‘punish’ high-traffic users (which it now feels you are as ‘you’ are
now several people’s worth of connections) by throttling or blacklisting your
MAC address.

If that’s actually the problem, then possibly install Aircrack, Backtrack?, or
whatever and change your MAC address once a day or so. [1]

Hope that helps,
Michael

[1]
The last time I even looked at this was 8+ years ago, as such I profess no
real knowledge on how to do this, these came up in search and seem to concur
with my memories...
https://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=1340.0
https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/forum/change-mac-address-backtrack-0149937/