Re: Re: TDE, Debian Install Wiki page (unclear/errors?)

I think you are thinking of Ubuntu which uses a command [which I forget off the top of my head] to change sources and upgrade to the next release.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018, 4:57 AM Stefan Krusche <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Michael,

Am Sonntag 19 August 2018 schrieb Michael:
> PS:  If the answers are no, then my entire understanding of dist-upgrade
> (now an alias for full-upgrade) seems to be erroneous, as doesn’t the
> dist-upgrade/full-upgrade process itself update your source.list to the
> next major distribution version so it can do the distribution upgrade?

Yes, you don't seem to understand the debian package management well enough
here. As has been said, every command with apt, apt-get, aptitude or dpkg
(package management tools) etc. depends on which repositories are indicated
in /etc/apt/sources.list (and others in /etc/sources.list.d/*, maybe).

For example, if you are running Debian wheezy you would have something like:

deb http://ftp.debian.de/pub/linux/debian/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

in your sources.list. When you now would do a

aptitude dist-upgrade

nothing actually would happen as aptitude would look up the contents of the
repository for wheezy on the given server (and only update its database from
what has been changed *within* the server-side wheezy repo).

When you now change the information in sources.list (or the trinity's
sources.list in /etc/sources.list.d/ -- which technically doesn't matter
because apt etc. look up both) to a new TDE version for wheezy (!) like this,
e.g.:

# before
deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-v3.5.13/debian wheezy
main

# after
deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian wheezy
main

then apt would get new information for tde packages only and upgrade those while
the information for the distribution's repos in sources.list stays the same and
still nothing but tde packages would be upgraded. (there might be rare
exceptions when packages *within* wheezy had been upgraded to new versions (in
the repo) which would be upgraded as well then).

HTH

Kind regards,
Stefan