Re: Login into accounts with german umlaut

Hi Thierry,

>> I made an accout with name "jürgen", password "jürgen" and the home
>> directory is named "jürgen" too (for testing purpose only).
>>
>> Without tdm i.e. from a console I can login without any problems, but
>> TDM-Login says "wrong password"

> How is your keyboard setup (in TDE)?
>
> When I install, TDE defaults to US keyboard and I have to install the swiss
> keyboard (Trinity Control Center -> Regional & Accessibility -> Keyboard
> Layout). Of course you probably have it in German...

AFAIK is this setting for the user when logged in and not for TDM to login.

In tdm I set the language to german as well, but this only effects the
messages shown.

> Console keyboard is probably controled by your distribution's settings.

Yes.

> I don't advise using accented letters in passwords and filenames (although I
> do use @, but I know where it is on the US keyboard). But you can set a
> provisory password, change the keyboard, then the password.

AFAIK only user names starting  with a number are really forbitten and
the user name is not the problem. It seems, that tdm dosn't like the
Umlaut in the password.

Fine regards
Rolf