Re: How to use mouse click as part of a keyboard shortcut?

On Thursday 05 July 2018 07:19:10 am Stefan Krusche wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 05 Juli 2018 schrieb Dr. Nikolaus Klepp:

> > > It's possible, I just tried and succeeded.
> > >
> > > TCC > Desktop > Window Behavior > Window Actions > Inner Window, Title
> > > Bar & Frame:
> > > for "Modifier Key + left button" choose from drop down menu on right
> > > side.
> > >
> > > Somewhere you can configure which key is the "Modifier Key".
> >
> > Now this is cute :-)
> >
> > Maybe you could add it to the wiki page?
>
> Could you please write a cute manual how to do that? ;-)

Thanks All!,

Definitely sparking my memory.  And, alas, the stupid keystrokes are so
embedded in my muscle memory I’m still doing it and wondering why it’s not
triggering.  I’m also wondering just how many years ago I set this up as the
hazy memory I have is that the post I got it from wasn’t really talking about
Keyboard shortcuts at all, but it had the clue on how to do step 2 below.

# Step 1

The Windows Behavior was definitely the first step, e.g. assigning the
Modifier key + middle button to Minimize.  I’ve been on a laptop for 20
years, so I never really had a mouse middle button, and I’ve never gotten use
to doing the two button click to emulate it, which is why I picked it.

I also remember leaving the Modifier key set to Alt, as a) changing it would
mess up normally used stuff, and b) I’m not sure I ever explored just what
changing it to “Meta” would do.  (“Meta” being my only other choice I have
for Modifier key.  FWIW, I am pretty sure somewhere in TCC I have seen a
place to change the Modifier key.)

# Step 2

The second step was to get {Windows Key} + {mouse left button} to emulate, or
trigger,  the {ALT} + {mouse middle button}.  Since no one else can get TCC
to accept a mouse click, I’m pretty sure this had to be done completely
outside of TCC, which excludes things like Input Actions linked to DCOP or
the like. [1]

While I’d still like to figure out what I did originally (I’m still grepping
the haystacks), I don’t have any issue going with xbindkeys and DCOP/D-Bus as
I have the xbindkeys part down and just need the appropriate ‘command’ to
tell the application under the mouse to minimize.  I’ve used qdbusviewer very
infrequently in the past (CentOS/KDE?), but I don’t seem to have it installed
here.  And, ‘eh, to be honest I don’t really know which TDE uses :(

$ qdbusviewer
qdbusviewer: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qdbusviewer':
No such file or directory

So . . . .  Two things,

A) Would someone either show me what the command(s) would be to minimize
whatever is the top most window under the current mouse position.  Or point
me at the right tool to be able to find it?

B)  I’ll gladly write this up as a cute manual and (if I still have access)
publish it on the wiki page.  (It’s not like I’m not the wordy type...)

Best and Thanks,
Michael

[1]
Trying to recreate this I have found it {can be?} done with xbindkeys and
DCOP.

https://blog.hanschen.org/2009/10/13/mouse-shortcuts-with-xbindkeys/

Adding this to $HOME/.xbindkeysrc allows {Windows Key} + {mouse left button}
to launch notepad.  I had to manually combine the raw codes, but couldn’t
figure out what the ‘pretty name’ would be for left mouse button.

#Test001
"/usr/bin/notepad"
    m:0x40 + c:133 + b:1
#    Mod4 + Super_L + ???

And this should also be possible with xbindkeys and xte, but I can’t seem to
get that to work.  I’ve tried multiple variations of Test002, which have all
failed, but I think it’s a xte typo/misconfig on my part as Test003 does
work.

#Test002
"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'mouseclick 2' 'keyup Alt_L'"
    m:0x40 + c:133 + b:1

#Test003
"xte 'mousermove 100 100'"
    m:0x40 + c:133 + b:1

Note:
You have to restart xbindkeys to apply changes.  It’s buried in the blog post.

$ killall xbindkeys && xbindkeys