Re: today's immature bothersome question

On Sunday 01 July 2018 16:41:26 Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun July 1 2018 16:16:01 dep wrote:
> > in my seemingly never-ending attempt to equip the GPD device with TDE and
> > optimize its configuration, i'm trying to set the screen not to just
> > blank but to power down when the screensaver is called. but when i get to
> > kcontrol > system administration > monitor & display, i get:
> >
> > Will not save configuration
> >
> > Configuration file "/home/dep/trinity/share/config/kiccconfigrc" not
> > writeable.
> >
> > Please contsact your system administrator.
> >
> > So I got up and walked into the other room, where there is a mirror, and
> > contacted myself face-to-face, but it got no better. And looking in the
> > referenced directory I see that it, alone among the config files there,
> > has root ownership and instead of the plain text file icon has one of the
> > little question-mark icons signifying an unknown filetype. if i try to
> > open it with kate, it is blank. it is *not* a symlink.
> >
> > before i break smething i thought i'd ask -- is there any reason this
> > file has these atributes?
>
> Hi Dep,
>
> FWIW I just tried that here and what I saw was different.
>
> (1) Possible typo but I have a dot before trinity in that path you cite.
>
> (2) Upon clicking Monitor & Display I was prompted for a root password.
> (I usually get to these controls from RandR / Configure Displays / Admin
> Mode which also requires a root password).
>
> (3) I made some changes and they affected three files:
>         twinrulesrc
>         tdesurc
>         kdeglobals
>
> (4) I checked all the systems I maintain.  None had a kiccconfigrc.
> They're currently a mix of Devuan 1.0 and Devuan 2.0 and they're at TDE
> 14.0.5 as I haven't started testing today's new version yet.
>
> (5) Again, on all of the systems I maintain,
>     both /home/*/.trinity/share/config/ and all the files therein are owned
>     by the relevant user's owner and group.
>
> At a guess you at sometime in the past logged into TDE (or a predecessor)
> as root.  I see no reason not to fix the ownership of that file.  I don't
> currently have a GIT of TDE handy so I can't figure out why you might have
> a kiccconfigrc while I don't but I wouldn't worry about that.  Maybe my
> test didn't touch the exact area you're working with.  Also I don't
> understand why you were not prompted for a root password.
>
> --Mike

My guess is that the permissions on that folder got changed somehow. I
sometimes see that when I am trying to save a text file where I've made
changes. (Also, I think that Mike is probably right about that little missing
dot, as that indicates hidden files inside your folder in a Linux system. In
your top menu, click on "show hidden files" and "hide hidden files", and you
will see how they appear and disappear. In Linux every little dot and space
counts.)

As Mike points out, maybe you logged in as root; perhaps you opened konqueror
or other file manager as root?

Some command-line may work the magic you want. [Change ~ to your username!]
chmod -R 700 /home/~/.trinity | chown -R ~/home/~/.trinity | chgrp -R
~ /home/~/.trinity
and/or
chmod -R 700 /home/~/.trinity/* | chown -R ~/home/~/.trinity/* | chgrp -R
~ /home/~/.trinity/*
(This give rwx permissions to user only, dep or whatever you call your
username.)

If this doesn't work, try:
chmod -R 770 /home/~/.trinity | chown -R ~/home/~/.trinity | chgrp -R
~ /home/~/.trinity
and/or
chmod -R 770 /home/~/.trinity/* | chown -R ~/home/~/.trinity/* | chgrp -R
~ /home/~/.trinity/*
(This will give rwx permissions to user and group, both the same as your
username; some processes may operate under your group name, not as user.)

NOTE WELL that I am using ~ to represent your top-secret username (which it is
better that you don't publish online, of course); the /* in this case
represents everything inside that folder, so I need the asterisk for that. (I
don't give out my own username to anybody, although I feel sure that all the
3-letter government agencies have got it by now.)

If this doesn't solve your problems, then you might have some deeper issues.
In the past, when I had similar experiences, I used to just reinstall my
system; but nowadays I try to avoid doing that when possible.

Bill