Re: installing OpenOffice & "command-line is my friend"

On June 30, 2018 8:40 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-trinity@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As other people may read this thread I think it is important to add an
>
> opposing viewpoint.
>
> Unless you are willing to do what Tim and friends did for KDE by taking
>
> on and actively maintaining the project, I cannot recommend OpenOffice
>
> to anyone.

I have to confess that I pretty much agree. Also, the only issues I have ever had with LibreOffice are the hellishly difficult, multi-location, not-well-documented ways of creating defaults in it -- and that's just the word processor -- and, now, my inability to make the menus and such be the size that I would like under TDE on the little computer, which I used successfully all day in the field today for photo and story processing. When scaling comes to pass, it will be pefect with TDE (and I have no desire, none at all, to learn a different desktop).

It's funny -- my first encounter with Open/LibreOffice was when it was StarOffice and was one of the few complicated programs for the OS/2 WorkPlace Shell. It was really weird but I liked it. And it was not just an office suite but an internet suite, with browser, email, the works. I think it even handled newsgroups. They put out a full-featured demo that worked for, I think, a month. Then you had to pay, and it wasn't cheap.

Then Star Division got bought by Sun, which put out a version or two for I think Windows, then Sun got bought by Oracle. Apache was in there someplace, if memory serves. OpenOffice.org was the official name of the free version for some time. Then the LibreOffice fork got going -- wasn't it because of its friendlier license? -- and pretty soon everything was LibreOffice. And as I said, my only recent experience with OpenOffice was first, "Symphony," which was IBM's recycled-from-Lotus fork of OpenOffice, followed by IBM's own fork of OpenOffice under the OpenOffice.org name, both of which broke everything they touched.

Which does seem like a long way around to get the menu fonts I want.

​dep

Sent withProtonMailSecure Email. Because privacy matters.​