Re: Re: my vanishing root partition

On Thursday 22 March 2018 00:47:30 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. M� 2018 schrieb deloptes:
> > [...]
> > As of systemd, I followed recommendations given on the debian-user list
> > and you need only to install sysv-rc sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils AFAIR.
> > Then automagicall init is used instead of systemd. I used to put
> > init=/lib/sysvinit/init into /etc/default/grub, but on the last machine
> > where I did the move, I skipped it and I still get init as process #1. I
> > have been using this for more than an year now and don't see why one
> > should go for devuan.
>
> That was true on jessie. But now systemd has infected lots of vital systems
> in debian. You you cannot have a systemd-free debian any more - that's
> where devuan comes in :-)
>
> Nik

This was my understanding, as well, from reading Debian/Devuan pages; but
perhaps I am not so well-informed. I was intending to migrate to Devuan more
based on principle (because, in principle, they are more Debian than Debian).
Also, the Devuan community seems to be very well-organized, by comparison to
other distros; especially considering the fact that Devuan was only forked in
(I think) 2014.

Bill