Re: my vanishing root partition

William Morder wrote:

> From Kubuntu 10.04 onwards, I kept trying to get TDE to work with Kubuntu,
> or with any of the 'buntus. I always ended up with problems that made the
> computer unusable. Then last year my motherboard got fried by a power
> surge, so I determined to start over from scratch, and install some kind
> of GNU/Linux, and settled on Debian as the most stable, with the most
> forks and variants, and largest community.

Usually you do clean minimal install of debian, add the trinity sources to
source.list and install trinity desktop (look at the installation guide)

As of systemd, I followed recommendations given on the debian-user list and
you need only to install sysv-rc sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils AFAIR. Then
automagicall init is used instead of systemd. I used to put
init=/lib/sysvinit/init into /etc/default/grub, but on the last machine
where I did the move, I skipped it and I still get init as process #1. I
have been using this for more than an year now and don't see why one should
go for devuan.

For normal average use root and /opt/trinity are about 10G, so if you give
20G for root partition, should be sufficient.

regards