Re: Konsole issue

Peter Laws composed on 2017-04-10 12:01 (UTC-0500):

After being on Ubuntu 14.1 LTS for years, I tried to update to 16.1.
Install media Would.  Not.  See.  workstation's RAID so switched to
CentOS 7 (all my production stuff uses that anyway).  Immediately
installed TDE, of course, 14.04 I think.

Two issues with Konsole, possibly related to the video driver (card is
an "AMD FirePro V4900" with their drivers).

First is that it seems to have trouble rendering the _ (underbar)
character.  No problem leaving random underbars on the screen as text
advances, but can't seem to put them in the right spot.  This is most
noticeable on the last line of a screen full of text.

Second, and much more annoying is that when I start Chrome (not my
primary browser but necessary for some sites), Konsole becomes
very    sluggish.  Not 2400-baud modem slow, but that was the first
thing I thought of.  Maybe more like 9600 ... or 14.4 ...

Ideas?

The 1.17.2 CentOS 7 Xorg server has a built-in driver "modeset(0)" that works for most of the big 3 gfxchips. Some distros have made the internal driver the preferred driver for certain gfxchips. To try it can be as simple as removing all Xorg driver packages applicable specifically to your gfxchip and restart the server. If you have xorg.conf* configured to use a specific driver, or use an xrandr startup script to configure Xorg, then it would need to be removed or adjusted accordingly.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/