Re: error: 'nullptr' was not declared in this scope

On Monday 20 of May 2024 19:38:09 Darrell Anderson via tde-devels wrote:
> Yes, installed, but the failure was with tqt3, which does not use cmake.
> The failure happened only with vintage systems. While Slackware 14.2
> 64-bit is declared EOL, that happened only a few months ago. GCC version
> is 5.5.0. Possibly that plays a role, but that is why I asked some days
> ago about minimal build requirements.
>
> With the '-std=c++11' addition, I now can build tqt3 on these older
> systems.
>
> As you might remember, I like tinkering with vintage systems. I accept
> there is a point of diminishing returns with installing modern software,
> but I think TDE fills a void with people wanting to keep dual core
> systems alive, especially since TDE has roots in KDE 3.5 from 14 years
> ago. I have vintage systems running in the house. I never had issues
> compiling 14.0.12 on these systems, so something new was introduced
> since.

Oh, clearly, for TQt as such, there is not forced C++ dialect, because it
does not use either automake (common admin module) or CMake. In R14.0.12,
C++11 dialect was set as default for both automake and CMake. Together
with the release R14.1.0 there is allowed to use C++11 in code. Therefore,
TQt >= R14.1.0 now requires to enforce C++11 dialect if an older compiler
is used.

> I am using build scripts that are not robust or well tested for anything
> outside the most recent Slackware versions. I am ever so slowly trying
> to write my own build scripts to accommodate a variety of systems and
> Slackware releases. But I am getting old and my brain no longer works as
> sharp as only a few years ago.
>
> Perhaps some TDE veterans could review the wiki to provide more helpful
> build requirements. For example, I notice some of the build times are
> the same ones I wrote on vintage systems from 14 years ago. Those build
> times almost look embarrassing these days. I am willing to review such
> changes and play my old role of devil's advocate and persnickety tech
> writer. :)

Overall, the requirements have not changed too much. We always try to keep
the code for compatibility with older versions, because we still provide
packages for older versions of distribution.

Very good changes have occurred for build times, especially for CMake if
used together with ninja-build. In this case, processors with multiple
cores are very well used and building can be significantly faster than it
used to be in the past.

Cheers
--
Slávek