Re: error: 'nullptr' was not declared in this scope

On 5/20/24 11:59 AM, Slávek Banko via tde-devels wrote:
On Monday 20 of May 2024 18:05:05 Darrell Anderson via tde-devels wrote:
On 5/20/24 8:43 AM, blu.256 wrote:
Try replacing nullptr with 0. Nullptr is a keyword for null pointer
which traditionally was written as 0 before the more specific nullptr
keyword appeared.

I resolved this problem by adding '-std=c++11'.

The current tde-cmake macros should ensure that C++11 is turned on
automatically. Now tde-cmake is installed as a separate package.  I
suppose you have tde-cmake installed?

Yes, installed, but the failure was with tqt3, which does not use cmake. The failure happened only with vintage systems. While Slackware 14.2 64-bit is declared EOL, that happened only a few months ago. GCC version is 5.5.0. Possibly that plays a role, but that is why I asked some days ago about minimal build requirements.

With the '-std=c++11' addition, I now can build tqt3 on these older systems.

As you might remember, I like tinkering with vintage systems. I accept there is a point of diminishing returns with installing modern software, but I think TDE fills a void with people wanting to keep dual core systems alive, especially since TDE has roots in KDE 3.5 from 14 years ago. I have vintage systems running in the house. I never had issues compiling 14.0.12 on these systems, so something new was introduced since.

I am using build scripts that are not robust or well tested for anything outside the most recent Slackware versions. I am ever so slowly trying to write my own build scripts to accommodate a variety of systems and Slackware releases. But I am getting old and my brain no longer works as sharp as only a few years ago.

Perhaps some TDE veterans could review the wiki to provide more helpful build requirements. For example, I notice some of the build times are the same ones I wrote on vintage systems from 14 years ago. Those build times almost look embarrassing these days. I am willing to review such changes and play my old role of devil's advocate and persnickety tech writer. :)