Re: Mirror Growth

On Friday 16 of June 2023 05:51:45 Mike Bird via tde-devels wrote:
> On Thu June 15 2023 19:25:53 Michele Calgaro wrote:
> > if I remember correctly, we are still providing R14.0.13 on the mirror
> > to ease user migration, am I wrong? So R14.0.13 and R14.1.0 would take
> > up lot of space.
> > If that is the case, would make more sense to drop off R14.0.13 from
> > the mirror and keep trinity-testing? What do you think?
>
> If my one-liner to analyze web logs on the primary mirror while
> filtering out the redirector's status checks is accurate than I think
> you're right Michele.  Here's the top 20 by second-level directory,
> counting accesses not bytes, over the last 15 days or so.
>
>  145327 /deb/trinity-sb
>  129511 /deb/trinity-testing
>   48093 /deb/trinity-r14.0.x
>   25878 /deb/trinity-r14.1.x
>   22105 /rpm/osstw
>   21067 /ulab/ubuntu
>   17410 /deb/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.x
>   11493 /rpm/f38
>   10715 /trinity-r14.0.0/debian
>   10461 /rpm/el6
>   10172 /rpm/el5
>    9957 /trinity-r14.0.0/ubuntu
>    9336 /rpm/el8
>    9008 /rpm/el7
>    8930 /rpm/pclinuxos
>    7487 /rpm/mga8
>    7233 /rpm/opensuse15.5
>    6659 /trinity/rpm
>    6291 /rpm/mga9
>    5885 /rpm/el9
>
> Unless someone comes up with a better idea in the next 24 hours I'll
> mask r14.0.x and builddeps on the mirror (on the assumption that most
> of that traffic will soon move from 14.0.x to 14.1.x) and restore
> trinity-testing.
>
> FWIW here are the directory sizes:
>
> 2.0G    ./releases/R14.0.8
> 2.4G    ./releases/R14.0.0
> 1.9G    ./releases/R14.0.11
> 1.9G    ./releases/R14.0.7
> 2.3G    ./releases/R14.0.5
> 2.3G    ./releases/R14.0.4
> 1.9G    ./releases/R14.1.0
> 2.0G    ./releases/R14.0.9
> 1.9G    ./releases/R14.0.6
> 5.3G    ./releases/R14.0.1
> 2.4G    ./releases/R14.0.3
> 1.9G    ./releases/R14.0.12
> 2.0G    ./releases/R14.0.10
> 1.9G    ./releases/R14.0.13
> 2.4G    ./releases/R14.0.2
> 34G     ./releases
> 650M    ./archlinux/x86_64
> 299M    ./archlinux/aarch64
> 296M    ./archlinux/armv7h
> 432M    ./archlinux/powerpc64le
> 1.7G    ./archlinux
> 78G     ./deb/trinity-r14.1.x
> 52G     ./deb/trinity-sb
> 115G    ./deb/trinity-r14.0.x
> 1.9G    ./deb/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.x
> 246G    ./deb
> 1.3G    ./ulab/ubuntu
> 1.3G    ./ulab
> 3.6G    ./rpm/osstw
> 2.4G    ./rpm/el7
> 2.2G    ./rpm/opensuse15.5
> 2.5G    ./rpm/el9
> 3.5G    ./rpm/mga8
> 2.5G    ./rpm/el8
> 2.5G    ./rpm/f37
> [...]

Hi Mike,

thank you for your supervision and maintenance of the mirror. During that
time there were several things:

Before the release of Bookworm, I noticed that a staging repository was
accidentally published on the mirror, where the final packages for
Bookworm and Raspbian Bookworm were being prepared. This caused these
packages to be there twice for a while. In any case, publishing the final
packages for Bookworm and Raspbian Bookworm means that a few more GiB have
been consumed there.

During the preparation of the special update of TQt3 and tdelibs for
R14.1.0, there was another temporary increase in the occupied space.
However, it has already been cleaned up again.

We dropped Stretch, Xenial and Impish in PTB and Impish in PSB. This led to
some reduction in the space occupied. However, there will be separate
packages for Trixie and Mantic in a while, so it will take up some space
again.

You may recall that when there was a plan to create a new repository for
R14.1.x, I mentioned that it would later represent an increase in volume
of about 80 GiB. In short, it could be said that increasing the size of
the mirror is exactly as expected.

At the time R14.1.0 was being prepared, there was a very unusual situation
where the volume was reduced because the PTB and PSB became identical. As
well as the subsequently released R14.1.0 in the new repository. But at
the moment of release, new packages for PSB and new packages for PTB
started to appear there. That's why these repositories started to take on
their usual size again. Even at this point, there are still some packages
identical to R14.1.x, PSB and PTB, so you can still expect to consume more
space there. So it's not an incorrect or unexpected state.

To reduce the volume on the mirror, we must therefore consider excluding
some older data from the mirror. Originally, I assumed that the R14.0.x
repository would be removed from the mirror after the release of R14.1.1.
If it seems appropriate, we can exclude it earlier. What is your opinion?
Probably no one will mind if we exclude the source tarballs for the
R14.0.x series. This will help free up some additional space. For
cdimmages, I can set excludes on the primary archive.

It will certainly be useful to organize the exclusion of the old data so
that the PTB repository can be back on the mirrors.

Cheers
--
Slávek