gtk-qt-engine

Can someone verify some gtk-qt-engine package weirdness?

* Ensure another DE is installed.
* Remove any traces of TDE from /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.
* Disable related TDE /etc/profile.d scripts.
* Boot into the other DE.
* Launch a terminal window.
* Ensure no traces of TDE are in the environment variables, $PATH, etc.
* Type a GTK GUI command to launch.
* Verify TDE is trying to intercept the command to control the GTK theme.

In my case I was trying to launch meld from the command line. I repeatedly encountered a TDE crash dialog:

TDECrash: Application 'python-gtk-tqt-application' crashing.

The message is derived from the package qt_qt_wrapper.cpp.

This happened to me in both KDE and Xfce.

Removing the gtk-qt-engine package resolves the problem.

Being buggy or stale code is one thing, but why is TDE and the gtk-qt-engine package even functional when using a different DE?

DA