Environment variables with root

What is the preferred way to configure environment variables for root?

The starttde script establishes environment variables for the user's session, but those settings do not apply to root. Running su - results in the loss of these environment variables.

The same happens when using the konsolesu.desktop and konquerorsu.desktop files. Environment variables such as $PATH do not include $TDEDIR/bin. So although the su - session is in a full TDE session, no TDE commands can be used unless typing full paths.

When using konquerorsu.desktop, Konqueror launches okay but odd things happen. The Settings dialogs are empty. The Help button in those empty dialogs fails to find the Konqueror handbook. The handbook functions fine from the main Help menu.

When launching Konq this way there seems to be something hard-coded to $HOME/.trinity. I have $TDEHOME configured to $HOME/.tde rather than $HOME/.trinity and $TDEROOTHOME configured to /root/.tde rather than /root/.trinity. These variables are exported globally on login through /etc/profile.d. Yet launching Konq as root results in these environment variables being ignored and $HOME/.trinity is created with default configurations.

I do not mind learning I am doing something wrong but I do not know where to look.

Thanks.

DA