Re: Making new artwork with 3D Konqi

On 2021/10/24 04:15 AM, Mavridis Philippe wrote:
Borrowing ideas from science fiction is a nice idea, though I'm not sure of the legal implications. Taking an animal as a base is a proven method of creating a mascot.

But whatever the mascot, we could draw a new graphic from time to time (e.g. between releases). For example, we could draw the mascot in different themes (e.g. paying homage to a different book/film each time). It's not totally unlike what OpenBSD is doing each release (except the song part ;-).

Of course we can be dreamig about it all but whether we will actually be able to do something with the mascot depends on whether the majority agrees to carry out such a contest (or some other way of mascot selection).

Discussing the mascot before having seen actual proposals didn't work out the last time. So a contest would probably be a better medium for decision?

--
Philippe

Indeed having our own mascot and differentiate ourselves from KDE would be great. And I would say that it is probably time we do something about it! :-)

Long ago there was a discussion about it and Bill proposed the "T.Rex", which seems to fit well with both:
- having a T in the name
- resembling a dragon (kind-of of course, it's a dinosaur)
See post here : http://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/QNBAFCHHFHHBVFOZTHGKRP6PU7RRLBVP/

We didn't do anything at the time, but I find it a good idea. What does everyone think?

If someone wants to put forward an actual proposal for it, we can review and discuss together. I can eat hex dump files for breakfast, but I am terrible at drawing, so I won't definitely be proposing anything from my side :-)

Cheers
  Michele