Re: TDE adding MTP support

Slávek Banko via tde-devels wrote:

>> 1. Why is there the usb.ids file in
>> core/tdebase/kcontrol/usbview/usb.ids
>> Why is the file so outdated - actually has no revision, but compared
>> to /var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids which is part of package usb.ids Why not
>> using the officially maintained usb.ids file?
>>

> There is a build option WITH_USBIDS that allows to specify the usb.ids
> path on the system. For example, in tde-packaging for deb packages you can
> see that this option is used. Therefore, this file is not installed as
> part of deb packages.

May be I was irritated by 3. below. Thank you for clarification.

>> 2. the USB ids are handled in tdelibs and tdebase. Adding MTP as
>> separate tdeio module would impact also these, or is there a better
>> approach?
>>

> How is an MTP tdeio slave assigned to a device? Is it based on a mimetype?
> Or does tdeio-mtp work as a special ioslave to find and provide all MTP
> devices?
>
> If during the device recognition in tdehw-lib there we would identify the
> MTP device and set the appropriate device type and flags, this could
> probably be useful?

Indeed the last one is what I am looking at. If it is recognized in
tdehw-lib, it would be handled as any other devices recognized.

What I see in kio-mtp - it would add MTP device to a devices cache (if I
understand the code correctly - may be it is worth testing this in KDE).
It looks like the Solid is like a management layer between the slave and the
udev that handles all devices attached

In konqueror it should show the device as root object and the storages of
the device below (it usually has internal storage and microSD - would be
something like what is done by mtp-detect (on my Xperia X)

Storage Devices:
   StorageID: 0x00010002
      StorageType: 0x0003 fixed RAM storage
      FilesystemType: 0x0002 generic hierarchical
      AccessCapability: 0x0000 read/write
      MaxCapacity: 19306098688
      FreeSpaceInBytes: 6011613184
      FreeSpaceInObjects: 4294967295
      StorageDescription: Mass storage
      VolumeIdentifier: media
   StorageID: 0x00010001
      StorageType: 0x0004 removable RAM storage
      FilesystemType: 0x0002 generic hierarchical
      AccessCapability: 0x0000 read/write
      MaxCapacity: 31902400512
      FreeSpaceInBytes: 22159196160
      FreeSpaceInObjects: 4294967295
      StorageDescription: 3434-3234
      VolumeIdentifier: media
Special directories:
   Default music folder: 0xffffffff
   Default playlist folder: 0xffffffff
   Default picture folder: 0xffffffff
   Default video folder: 0xffffffff
   Default organizer folder: 0xffffffff
   Default zencast folder: 0xffffffff
   Default album folder: 0xffffffff
   Default text folder: 0xffffffff

>> 3. as I understand the TDE library classifies the device based on some
>> string in the usb.ids, but I am not exactly sure how it will classify
>> one device as Camera (PTP) and another as MTP.
>>

> Devices in tdehw-lib are recognized by data from udev => values visible in
> sysfs and discoverable by udevadm. I tried to find out if there is
> information available that the device is MTP and I found the value
> ID_MTP_DEVICE=1.

Oh, thank you - I was interpreting the code in the wrong way - the udev
direct use was replaced by Solid.

> So far, there doesn't seem to be any code in tdehw-lib to recognize and
> operate MTP devices.

Yes, this is why I knocked on your door.

So, it would be good to have this in tdehw-lib first and than down the whole
chain, right?