Re: try harder update?

Felix Miata wrote:

> Slávek Banko via tde-devels composed on 2020-11-03 09:36 (UTC+0100):
>
>> Mike Bird via tde-devels wrote:
>
>>> I don't think there's anything more that TDE can do.  The
>>> workaround is to hit up-arrow then enter if download fails.
>
>> If this happens frequently for Felix, it may be a good idea to split the
>> update so that first apt calls "apt upgrade --download-only", and only
>> when everything is successfully downloaded does the package upgrade
>> continue.
>
> NAICT, that's exactly what apt/apt-get/aptitude is/are doing. They exit
> right after the failed package fetch info shows up onscreen. I just
> up-arrow, <enter>, it fetches the missing package, and installs
> everything. --
> Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
> is based on faith, not on science.

We and partners had delay in a project beginning this year because one
firewall had firmware bug and was dropping packages which resulted in
breaking up connections at random.
As in the past years it was not about the quality but profit only, I can
imagine we'll have all kind of issues at lower levels in the future.
A lot of time will be spent in such debugging session - I am not a prophet
but it is logical to assume. It might be good for linux based open source
devices though.