Re: Wrong resetting of Logical Unit Number field in CDB

On 10/11/19 3:12 AM, Bodo Stroesser wrote:
If I understood correctly, we all would prefer to make TCMU completely
transparent regarding the CDB.

For pscsi I think we all agree, that the code is wrong or incomplete.
But for pscsi up to now no one complained. So I'm wondering whether we
should spend much effort for pscsi to discuss / find out the right
solution? Especially as the original comment in the code, as posted by
Mike, as well as the current comment are not very clear. Thus 'fixing'
pscsi would mean to change or remove something we don't understand
completely.

So I agree to Hannes: we should simply move that code from
passthrough_parse_cdb() to pscsi_parse_cdb(), at least as a first step.

Hannes wrote "[ ... ] delegate it to pscsi if there is a need." Is there really a need for such code in the SCSI passthrough driver? The upstream SCSI target code is one of the four Linux SCSI target stacks that I know of. I haven't found any SCSI-2 LUN number filtering code in the tgt project (http://stgt.sourceforge.net/). I'm not sure about IET. SCST is around since 2006 and has SCSI-2 LUN number filtering code in its CDROM and MODISK passthrough drivers. That LUN number filtering code is there since the initial commit so it is not the result of a recent request of a user. SCST does not have LUN filtering code in its disk passthrough driver nor in its tape passthrough driver. In other words, I do not expect that anyone's setup will be broken by removing passthrough_parse_cdb() entirely.

Bart.