Re: What needs to be done for VVOL support in linux-target for iSCSI?

Hello Hannes,

> Hmm. Isn't this just a proprietary method of doing dynamic
> provisioning from the host?

yes. Personally I don't like this because it is to complex and as a
result error prone. But I would like to have somehting lightwight I can
use during VMware classes to demonstrate the concept without setting up
a EMC or NetApp simulator.

> The alternative would be to hook into the T-10 conglomerate LUNs
> effort; this aims to provide the same functionality but in an official
> (ie standardized) way.

Thank you for the hint with conglomerate LUNs. VVOLs seem to use
conglomerate LUNs[1]. Does the Linux target stack already support
conglomerate LUNs or is someone working on it. I assume it would only be
a few lines of code to support it. Writing the SOAP VASA Webservice that
does the provisioning seems to be easy enough and probably can be done
in a few lines of perl. At least that is what I hope.

Nab, are you interested in supporting conglomerate LUNs or do we have
already support for it? If not can someone write down some hints for me
which functions I have to look at in order to support them?

Cheers,
        Thomas