Re: Setting iSCSI SCSI ID with LIO?

Hi Sam,

On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 20:59 +0000, Sam McLeod wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many before me I need to set the SCSI ID for iSCSI interfaces under LIO.
> I can do this with tgt and other legacy iSCSI targets but it seems LIO
> doesn't have the ability to manage this?
>
> Setting the SCSI ID is important for iSCSI failover and iSCSI clustering to
> ensure that initatiors can continue to connect to the target across
> different and new hosts.
>
> Some initators will just use the iSCSI WWN / serial but many also need the
> SCSI ID to remain consistant such as Xen or in our case XenServer (Citrix's
> open source Xen product).
>
> There is a complecated way of maintaining SCSI ID consistancy with LIO which
> involved enabling and managed PR with APTPL but we've found that to be
> complex and fraught with problems when all that is require is to be able to
> set the SCSI ID when the target is created just the same as you do the WWN
> etc...

By SCSI ID, I assume you mean the SCSI Unit Serial number, that is used
as the basis for EVPD 0x83 device identifier.  (See sg_inq -i output)

As mentioned in the follow-up from one of your references:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/target-devel/msg02128.html

and also more recently here:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/target-devel/msg10494.html

this value is exposed as a per device configfs attribute:

  /sys/kernel/config/target/core/$HBA/$DEV/wwn/vpd_unit_serial

and if your performing export failover between physical nodes, you'll
need to ensure these remain consistent for backend devices floating
between nodes.

HTH.

--nab