Re: Intel DC3700 & LIO

Hi Suresh,

On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 18:18 -0700, Suresh Rajagopalan wrote:
> I should add this is over 10G ethernet.

A few data-points wrt traditional iSCSI performance tuning:

You'll want to use Intel's set_irq_affinity.sh to set explicit CPU
affinity for 10 Gb/sec NIC's MSI-X interrupt vectors, and disable
irq-balance too.

Using >= 4096 byte MTUs on your 10 Gb/sec network + NICs will help
reduce CPU utilization for heavy small block random I/O workloads

> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Suresh Rajagopalan <sraja97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have a Intel DC3700 800G Pcieflash which I'm trying to benchmark
> > with LIO.  I see a discrepancy in fio benchmarks on this devices when
> > running directly (/dev/nvme0n1) and when running via iscsi.
> >
> > The following fio file produces about 400k iops on 100% read.   A
> > identical fio file run over a ISCSI device to LIO where the backstore
> > is the same flash /dev/nvme0n1  produces about 40k iops.
> >
> > Is there something I am missing?   The queue depth is 32, but the
> > numbers do not change even when bumped upto 128.
> >
> > Thanks for the help
> > Suresh
> >

> > ----------------------------
> >
> > [global]
> > description=Emulation of Intel IOmeter File Server Access Pattern
> > filename=/dev/nvme0n1
> > [iometer]
> > bssplit=4k/100
> > rw=randread
> > direct=1
> > size=18000m
> > ioengine=libaio
> >
> > iodepth_batch=4
> > iodepth_batch_complete=32
> > numjobs=64
> --

For pre scsi-mq Linux/iSCSI initiator hosts, set the I/O scheduler to
noop using:

   echo noop > /sys/block/$SCSI_BD/queue/scheduler

Having multiple iSCSI LUN exports per struct Scsi_Host (eg: target
endpoint) has an effect on small block performance, especially for
< v3.18 (pre scsi-mq) initiator Linux hosts that acquire+release
request_queue and Scsi_Host locks for every queued I/O.

--nab