Re: Emulex FC target driver based on lpfc 10.4.8000.0

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 05:10:14PM +0000, Chris Moore wrote:
> > Before you get too far down that path, are you aware of the Emulex OCS SDK?  The SDK is independent
> > of the lpfc driver, and supports target and initiator on FC, FCoE, and iSCSI.
> >
> > The SDK in the past has been under a proprietary license and required signing up for the partner
> > program to get the source, but we're in the process of making it more available and switching to an open
> > source license.
> >
> > If the SDK has the functionality you want it might save you from having to re-invent the wheel.
> >
> > More information on the SDK is at http://www.emulex.com/products/onecore-storage-sdk/overview.
>
> An SDK always sounds like a big blob of horrible code, especially if you
> want to support all the different protocols that for Emulex use
> different drivers anyway.  If Sebastians driver is more like a normal
> Linux driver I would love to add it to the mainline tree.

The code was originally written by Emulex in 2009 [1]. Nicholas tried to
upstream it in 2010, but the archives don't show any feedback [2][3][4].

I ported the driver [5] to 4.0-rc6 and will send a RFC patch soon.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=124707559927802
[2] http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1007.2/01452.html
[3] http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1007.2/01451.html
[4] http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1007.2/01449.html