VVols and VASA 2.0 (was Re: Is any work still being performed on LIO?)

Hi Dan,

On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 12:21 -0500, Dan Lane wrote:
> The wiki page hasn't been updated in almost 8 months and still shows the
> following despite the current stable Linux kernel being 3.18.2:
>
>    - Linux 3.14 (planned): T10 DIF <http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/DIF> core,
>    T10 Referrals, NPIV <http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/NPIV>
>    - Linux 3.15 (planned): T10 DIF iSER, user-space backend
>    - Linux 3.16 (planned): Mellanox FCoE support

Wrt to the wiki, the features beyond v3.16 that have been merged
upstream along with a brief future roadmap has been updated here:

http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/LIO#Timeline

> The specific feature I'm looking for support with is VMware VVols.  VVols
> will be a major game changer for the future of vSphere virtualization and
> is supported by a huge number of vendors.

As Andy + Roland mentioned, it's (mostly) out-of-band management stuff
that would reside outside of the kernel, that would invoke rtslib calls
to configure various aspects of target-core and related fabric drivers.

There currently aren't any plans in this area, but I'd obviously be
interested in supporting any development effort to make it happen.
Specifically, those interested would need to be a VMWare TAP member in
order have access to the various specifications.

--nab