Re: RHEL7 vs SLES12 targetcli brain damage

Hello Dax, Andy,

Just figured I would jump in too and add my 2c.

Basically, Andy gave you the explanation, so rtslib-fb json format is different from mainline rtslib configuration format, and even has somehow different semantics. Andy had his reasons for forking and diverging back then, and now it is what it his. I guess we just have to accept that this happens in an open-source world. The important takeaway though, is that as Andy already said we want to fix it :-)

This might take a bit of time, as part of the work also is specific to distributions, but with Andy changing his packages names for the next release (thanks Andy BTW!), the situation will be a lot easier and a lot of possibilities will be unblocked :-)

In case you wish to migrate to the 2.x mainline rtslib series, one thing you could do is get your -fb configuration running, and uninstall the -fb packages without stopping the service (aka no unload of the kernel modules, you could add and exit at the top of the initscript for instance).

Then, if you install the mainline 3.x packages, the included initscript has provision to detect the situation (a running config but no config file) and dump the running configuration to /etc/target. This is suboptimal, as a clean way to do it would be distro-specific (we are discussing a migration package with the Debian folks to that effect, I would love for the SuSe maintainers to get in touch too).

Best Regards,
--
Jerome