Re: RHEL7 vs SLES12 targetcli brain damage

On 12/10/2014 04:05 PM, Dax Kelson wrote:
This is my first time trying to use targetcli on SLES12. I have quite
a bit of experience with it on Fedora and RHEL7. I'm trying to setup
an iSCSI target configuration that behaves identical no matter if is
on RHEL7 or SLES12. To me at least, ideally I could just plop down a
/etc/target/saveconfig.json on both and enable service and be done.
This unfortunately is not the case.

In case it isn't clear the problem is

mutual_password vs password_mutual
mutual_userid vs userid_mutual

I'll put an explanation below[1] but basically rtslib/rtslib-fb and targetcli/targetcli-fb have diverged. It's not brain damage, it's close-but-not-quite APIs, like Emacs vs Xemacs. At the time there were reasons but yes it sucks now.

Jerome and I have spoken about future plans to fix this. I think an important first step is making rtslib and rtslib-fb co-installable. This should let people like you who need cross-distro solutions at least have a prayer for getting what they expect. The next release of rtslib-fb will move to a "rtslib_fb" package name in addition to "rtslib", and then a later release will exclusively be importable via "rtslib_fb". This will enable 1) distros like Fedora to package Datera rtslib and 2) Distros like SuSE and Debian to package rtslib-fb, so people like you can at least install the alt pkg for API consistency with their initial distro.

Beyond that and further out, there may also be additional opportunities for unification.

Regards -- Andy

[1] Upon the introduction of TPG-level auth, rtslib-fb opted to treat the four new values as properties, just like the earlier code for ACL-level auth did. Datera rtslib changed to treating the auth directory like "attrib" and "param" entries, where there are get, set, and list methods but not direct properties. The underlying configfs entries are reversed from the original rtslib property names, so using attrib-style API results in e.g. "password_mutual" instead of the "mutual_password" property name.