targetcli reunification (was: Can VPD Unit Serial Number be persistent?)

Btw, what's the status of the targetcli trees?  I though with the
licensing updates we'd be able to get a unified version again.

The status of the trees is.. they've diverged. targetcli-fb in many smaller ways, and Datera targetcli in the addition of a new config API. See below.

Both are Apache-licensed now, so licensing is fixed. The remaining issues I see are reunifying the code and cooperating on development.

Regarding the code, Jerome, I'd really like to carry across the improvements in -fb, but think there were things that I removed (loadable .specs? backwards compat?) that prevented you from basing your new development on it. Can you talk a little about what you'd need in a converged version?

Regarding development cooperation, I'm for it. But licensing wasn't the only issue that resulted in the -fb branch, so we'd need to work through those issues (release engineering, public discussion of future plans, ensuring timely bugfixes) too for it to be successful.

Can anyone in the loop explain what the current set of major differences
are?

Maybe Jerome wants to add more, but for Datera targetcli, it's the new config API:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.scsi.target.devel/5838

For targetcli-fb:

* targetcli commands can be invoked from cmdline and return an error code
* python 3 support
* lio-utils is gone, config saved in .json format
* Easier storage-ACL setup
* WWN format standardized
* Only show HW fabrics that are present
* 10 previous configs saved
* initiator ACL grouping
* More info in summaries
* iSER support
* Caching for better scalability
* added a manpage
* rtslib: Remove .specfiles in favor of Python (fabric.py)

Regards -- Andy