Re: iSCSI Blu Ray

Hi Ramin,

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 23:47 -0800, Ramin Mahmoodi wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to linux, so hopefully this is the right place to post. I got
> Ubunut 13.10 Server and installed targetcli on a VirtualBox machine. I
> have the network Bridged to the Ethernet port connected on my local
> router. What I have setup is this
>
> /blockstore/pscsi /dev/sr1 -> My blu ray drive
> lun0 -> /dev/sr1
> demo mode is on
>
> I can connect to it from my Windows 7 machine (built in iSCSI
> Initiator) and it will mount the drive as F: and will even load the
> ASUS blu ray drive software and I can see and view the Blu ray media
> contents.
>
> The problem I'm having is that it is incredibly slow. I know that with
> ISCSI HD and the PS3 you were able to get media playback on a wired
> network, but I can't get that working at all.  Is there something I
> need to be doing differently?

So streaming video playback from Blu-Ray media requires ~5 MB/sec to ~7
MB/sec of sustained bandwidth depending on A/V codec + HD player
pre-buffering settings.

Based on your above setup, the bottleneck would most likely be related
to the Virtualbox HBA emulation + BDROM device passthrough into Ubuntu
guest not being able to sustain the required bandwidth necessary for
smooth playback.

One quick test you can try is to 'dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/dev/null bs=2048'
within the Ubuntu guest, and then CTRL-C after ~60 seconds.  This will
give an idea of Linux local streaming bandwidth into the Virtualbox
guest.  Also, what host OS is Virtualbox running on..?

--nab