Re: FCOE lab equipment

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 17:43 +0100, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello Nab,
> I would like to build a FCOE lab environment. If possible, one target,
> two initiators with the possibility to use them under Linux and ESX with
> a software FCOE stack and probably a switch. I don't want to spend 10 000 EURs
> on a 10Gbit switch and wonder if you can recommend a vendor? I looked at
> the following card from Intel:
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/58954/Intel-Ethernet-Converged-Network-Adapter-X540-T2
>
> Do you have any experience with the network card and can you recommend
> it? It seems to be well supported under Linux and also ESX including
> software FCOE.

The Intel 82599 (x520) NICs work well, and also have some built-in FCoE
offloads.

FYI, they are particularly sensitive wrt to optical GBICs, so I'd very
much recommend using copper direct attached cables if at all possible.

> As I understand it FCOE only works over lossless ethernet. Lossless
> ethernet has the ability to send pause and unpause frames and does not
> reorder or loose packets.

That's not exactly true.  It's still completely possible to run FCoE
over normal 1 Gb/sec ports in VN2VN mode (eg: point to point) without
Lossless ethernet.

>  However in the past lossless ethernet does not
> seem to be standarized and had a few problems: It only works over a
> single layer 2 hop, it does not work cross-vendor (e.g. is not
> standardized), link aggregation does not work because that out of order
> transmissions would be possible which breaks FCOE, lossy traffic gets
> paused by lossless traffic and so one. So I wonder what the current
> state of lossless ethernet is? I saw FCOE in Cisco UCS blades and HP
> Blades but they always use Internet Connect Bays or Top of the Rack
> switches to change it in FC and than go to a FC storage. I wonder if it
> is these days possible to go end-to-end. I noticed that some storage
> arrays like EMC VNX, HP 3PAR, Hitachi HDS and so on support but I never
> seen an environment where it was end-to-end not even over a single layer
> 2 HOP.
>
> I would appreciate if you or someone else could shed some light into
> the lossless ethernet topic.

Mmm, this would be a type of question for Robert Love + MDR.  (CC'ed)

--nab