Re: lio taget iscsi multiple core performance

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 14:07 -0500, Xianghua Xiao wrote:
> after I changed default_cmdsn_depth to 64 I use iomter to do READ,
> only core0 is busy, for WRITE, all cores(12 of them) are equally busy.

Have you been able to isolate the issue down to per session
performance..?  What happens when the same MD RAID backend is accessed
across multiple sessions via a different TargetName+TargetPortalGroupTag
endpoint..?  Does the performance stay the same..?

Also, it would be useful to confirm with a rd_mcp backend to determine
if it's something related to the fabric (eg: iscsi) or something related
to the backend itself.

> I created 12 target(each has one LUN) for 12-cores in this case, still
> the performance for both READ and WRITE are about 1/3 comparing to
> SCST I got in the past.

Can you send along your rtsadmin/targetcli configuration output in order
to get an idea of the setup..?  Also, any other information about the
backend configuration + hardware would be useful as well.

Also, can you give some specifics on the workload in question..?

> is LIO-iSCSI on 3.8.x 'best' for 10/100/1G network only? other than
> the DEFAULT_CMDSN_DEPTH definition what else I could tune for 10G/40G
> iSCSI? Again I am using the same scheduler/ fifo_batch
> strip_cache_size read_ahead_kb etc parameters  as I used with SCST,
> the only  major difference is LIO vs SCST itself.

If your on IB/RoCE/iWARP verbs capable hardware, I'd very much recommend
checking out the iser-target that is included in >= v3.10 kernels.

--nab