Re: BUG_ON with percpu-tags v2 + tcm_vhost consumer

On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 22:13 -0700, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 03:40:13PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > Hey Kent,
> >
> > So after rebasing target-tag-pool to include your percpu-tags v2 code
> > from earlier this week, the BUG_ON(tag >= pool->nr_tags) below is
> > immediately being triggered in the tcm_vhost response -> release path
> > with a 4x tcm_vhost endpoint / ramdisk LUN + scsi-mq virtio-scsi client
> > setup.
>
> Hey, sorry for not getting back to you sooner - I ended up heavily
> reworking it again, and rewriting ida/idr because Andrew Morton was
> complaining so much :) I'm mailing the new version out now - and last
> week while I was going over akpm's review feedback I noticed an ABA that
> might be the bug you ran into - if so, that should be fixed now.

Hey Kent,

Apologies for the lack of updates this past week, just catching up on
the latest percpu-ida  bits now that the immediate v3.11 target items
are out of the way..

Just a quick update on my end, target-pending/target-percpu-ida has been
rebased following your latest linux-bcache/ida branch.

Things are running wonderfully with the last rev, and I'm still making a
few other pre-allocation optimizations in vhost-scsi code in order to
drop the remaining fast-path allocations for per descriptor SGL + user
page list array memory.

No further progress on the conversion of iscsi-target/iser-target and
other target drivers just yet, as there some cleanups in the former that
need to happen before a proper percpu-ida conversion can happen.

So now that the chances are looking good for percpu-ida + idr conversion
being merged into v3.11, these target conversions will end up becoming
v3.12 items.  For next development cycle, I'd like to see vhost-scsi,
ib_srpt, tcm_qla2xxx and iscsi-target/iser-target conversions, along
with one other new fabric driver currently in the works.

So all that said, I'm very excited to see percpu-ida upstream!

:)

--nab