Re: Problems with multipathing between VMWare ESXi and LIO

Hello Eljas,

> If I understood that correctly, the only difference is that you have
> authentication disabled (which I would prefer to keep on).

I see, I never tried that with LIO. But I know that demo mode works as
well as presenting a LUN to one or more IQNs.

> But thanks, I will try those direct commands. And just to confirm,
> missing LUN 0 was due to anonymization/part of another script?

Correct, you can use whatever LUN number you want but make absolutly
sure that you present the _same_ volume with the same _LUN_ to all ESX
servers, otherwise they will ignore it: ESX puts a checksum of the SCSI
INQUIRY data on the Volume. The SCSI INQUIRY data contains the LUN
number, if the checksum does not match, ESX ignores the volume. This
protects against accidentally presented snapshots to qualify as
multipathing target. You can resignature a LUN or ignore this safety
meassure. I strongly disrecommend on disabling the safetey meassure. And
if you resignature than the ESX servers that were seeing the VMFS will no
longer seeing the VMFS.

> "Hotfix" is apt-get --no-install-recommends install targetcli

I saw it when I was about to file a bug report. Thanks for the heads up.

> Actually it doesn't if you have more bandwidth from target than to
> single initiator (& balancing load can get harder). If you have 5x 1
> Gpbs interfaces on your target and 3x 1Gpbs on two initiators, both
> would be using 2 dedicated ports and 1 shared port. If any single port
> goes down on target, there's 80% chance that maximum burst to one
> initiator will drop by 1Gbps (20% chance for usually better 0.5Gbps
> per initiator. But burst will always drop). If you are using same
> subnet (and thus each port on initiator has session to each target's
> port), while maximum bandwidth will drop by 1Gbps if both are utilized
> to maximum (from 5Gbps to 4Gbps), the burst bandwidth still stays at
> initiator's maximum of 3Gbps.

I agree. However prior to writing my e-mail I thought the iSCSI
port binding is the only way to go, but obviously there are others.

Cheers,
        Thomas