Re: define the scsi serial number

On 12-10-09 03:04 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

> So we hard-code the prefix for the IEEE NAA Registered Extended Device
> Identifier in target kernel code to follow what SCSI clients expect for
> this specific type of EVPD=0x83 designator.

Which is fair enough for real-world, production environments, indeed.

> We do not allow target-mode
> user-space code to set this value to a format containing a value that
> SCSI clients do not expect.

That's a pity.

> Using a non world-wide unique value for the one value that initiators
> depend on as being world-wide queue is a *bad* idea.

Indeed, while I will agree with you on this in any sort of production
environment, being able to configure and therefore have predictability
of the scsi id that a client will see in a test lab situation has
advantages.

Thanks much for the response,
b.