Re: define the scsi serial number

Hi Brian,

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 12:37 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I've exported some block devices to my initiators successful and the
> initiators can see their "serial number" as such:
>
> # scsi_id -g /dev/sde
> 3600140515ec87fad11c3d4a79daffbd3
> # scsi_id -g /dev/sdf
> 3600140581c83070d4e69d4437db4ecdf
> # scsi_id -g /dev/sdd
> 3600140559468582d6b45d4db5d8fb5d5
>
> Can I define on the target what these serial numbers will be?

So each virtual target device has a EVPD=80 Unit Serial that is used to
build the modern EVPD=83 NAA IEEE Registered extended WWN designator
value returned above to SCSI clients with scsi_id -g to uniquely
identify SCSI devices across multiple fabric ports.

This is automatically done via uuid in rtslib/targetcli code at device
creation time, and can be optionally be disabled by passing
generate_wwn=false at creation time as well.

Note the underlying configfs attribute lives for each backend under
/sys/kernel/config/target/core/$HBA/$DEV/wwn/vpd_unit_serial, so this
typically will be an new UUID to ensure world-wide uniqueness.

One possible scenario to set vpd_unit_serial explicitly is when sharing
a single vpd_unit_serial across multiple target head-nodes representing
the same shared storage device for active/active or active/passive
operation.  This is accomplished in rtslib python library code using
rtslib.tcm.StorageObject._set_wwn(), see:

http://www.risingtidesystems.com/doc/rtslib-gpl/html/rtslib.tcm.StorageObject-class.html

--nab