Re: Target configuration issues

On 06/15/2012 02:32 PM, Rustad, Mark D wrote:
> I have been thinking some about target configuration and I think I
> have an idea that may improve things somewhat. An issue I have seen
> is that the targetcli will sometimes fail to restore a configuration,
> or at least portions of it, when a link has not yet reached the right
> state. This can lead to loss of the configuration information, since
> by default the configuration is saved when targetcli exits. Yes, I
> know that it will remain in the backup file, at least for one
> failure. I've had to use it more than once.
>
> I am thinking that perhaps the kernel should accept the configuration
> information, even if things are not (yet) in an operational state. I
> got to thinking about configuring a multipath target, and it seems
> like it really should be possible to fully configure the target, even
> if a link happens to be down, so that it can automatically be active
> when the link finally gets to the right state.
>
> Does this seem feasible? Are there any significant problems with
> having things work in this way?

I assumed this was the kernel code not permitting configuration of
absent wwns, but after looking I think this might actually be a
rtslib-fb constraint.

if you want to try hacking-up
/usr/lib/python-2.<x>/site-packages/rtslib/target.py line 227(ish) from:

return is_valid_wwn(self.spec['wwn_type'], wwn, self.spec['wwn_list'])

to:

return is_valid_wwn(self.spec['wwn_type'], wwn)

does it work better?

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy