Target configuration issues

Folks,

I have been thinking some about target configuration and I think I have an idea that may improve things somewhat. An issue I have seen is that the targetcli will sometimes fail to restore a configuration, or at least portions of it, when a link has not yet reached the right state. This can lead to loss of the configuration information, since by default the configuration is saved when targetcli exits. Yes, I know that it will remain in the backup file, at least for one failure. I've had to use it more than once.

I am thinking that perhaps the kernel should accept the configuration information, even if things are not (yet) in an operational state. I got to thinking about configuring a multipath target, and it seems like it really should be possible to fully configure the target, even if a link happens to be down, so that it can automatically be active when the link finally gets to the right state.

Does this seem feasible? Are there any significant problems with having things work in this way?

--
Mark Rustad, LAN Access Division, Intel Corporation