Re: targetcli: save settings more aggressively?

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Andy Grover <agrover@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Dax and all,
>
> Right now, if you reboot, you revert to last saved settings. If you
> didn't do "saveconfig" then everything goes away.
>
> What do you think about saving the settings every time the targetcli
> serviceunit is stopped, i.e. on shutdown?

I don't think that is a good idea. It violates the principal of least
surprise [1].

It will be new behaviour to SAs and IT folks as it isn't the typical
Linux/UNIX style.

There are many commands in Linux that change the /running/
configuration, but don't modify the /persistent/ configuration. Some
examples of pairs of commands/config for doing run time changes versus
persistent changes.

iptables
iptables-save

sysctl -w
/etc/sysctl.conf

service
chkconfig

ifconfig
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-XXX

exportfs -o
/etc/exports

togglesebool
togglesebool -P

fdisk

Kernel auditing rules

Shell and environment variables

Even non-Linux/UNIX platforms such as Cisco IOS use this two step
procedure (ie with Cisco IOS or other IOS-like interfaces run time
changes aren't saved until you run 'wr mem' or 'copy running-config
saved-config').

Keep the current behavior of requiring an explicit 'saveconfig'.
However, you could warn on exit if there are unsaved changes -- that
would be a nice thing to do for SAs.

Dax Kelson

[1] http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch11s01.html