Re: 1394 sbp-2 target mode

On 09/02/2012 04:19, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 10:26 +0000, Chris Boot wrote:

<SNIP>

I've dusted off my code a bit and compile-tested it (only) so far. I
thought I'd push what I have into github so you can take an early look
while I start setting up my testing rig again.

The code as it is now is at:
git://github.com/bootc/Linux-SBP-2-Target.git
https://github.com/bootc/Linux-SBP-2-Target

I know my locking leaves something to be desired and I'm sure I'm using
atomics wrong, and I'm sure you'll tell me a lot more is wrong too! :-)
But I'd like to hear all of your comments.

PS: if you try to actually use it, you have to blacklist the
firewire-sbp2 module or bad things will happen as it tries to connect to
the target on the local node.

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to mention that I'm quite impressed with the progress being
made in the last weeks to get an SBP-2 firewire target up with
target-core.

Thanks! :-D

I've looked only briefly at the control plane in sbp_configfs.c so far,
and do not have any objections.  I'll have some more time in the next
weeks to take a closer look at the I/O path, but things look to be on
the right track..

Great, thanks for taking a look. That's one bit I'm still uncertain of, as I'm sure I've taken a skewiff view of target ports and TPGs... I didn't really have anything to go on so at the moment ports have no real meaning at all, and TPGs are mapped to FireWire units.

I think the mapping needs to change around a bit, but I'm not sure it's valid to restrict a port to having a single TPG inside, is it? The port identifier could then be the EUI-64 to uniquely identify the unit, which I currently don't include in the FireWire unit directory at all - it's optional in the SBP-2/SBP-3 specs, but the way the target works I really think it needs to be included.

I also would really appreciate someone having a look at my use of atomics and total lack of locking as I know it's not right, but I don't know enough to know how to do it properly...

Oh yeah, booting MacOSX off an old Power-book using firewire-sbp-target
is pretty cool and definitely deserves a screenshot + logs in the LIO
wiki!  8-)

;-)

P.S: We'd also be happy to add /var/target/fabric/sbp.spec so that sbp
can be used from rtslib scripts and rtsadmin/targetcli if you're
interested.  (jxm CC'ed)

Yep that would be a logical step to take but I'd like to pin down the configfs structure first, and if we take my suggestions above I guess we'd need to add EUI-64 handling to rtslib as well...

Cheers,
Chris

--
Chris Boot