Re: mounts with "nofail" can be unmounted on shutdown before "After=*-fs.target" units

Hi Micha,

On 2024-07-01 at 06:09 (-0700), MichaIng wrote:
> Basically, what I am missing, is a way to have mounts attempted at boot,
> properly ordered into boot schedule, without affecting the following
> boot (and shutdown) schedule in any way on failure, but have them
> properly ordered into shutdown cycled when their mount succeeded, or if
> they were manually mounted later.

I've faced longtime issues where sometimes my nfs mounts would attempt
to unmount themselves at shutdown before the user session ends (ie. out
of order) thereby hanging the shutdown, but I never drew the connection
to the "nofail" parameter before I read your message (and I used that on
all my mounts). This caused me to re-evaluate my /etc/fstab and come up
with a better setup.

I now have things like this, which I think accomplishes the desired result:

fileserv.home:/homedirs/matt   /home/matt       nfs proto=tcp,nfsvers=4.2,sec=krb5,rw,async,dirsync,acdirmax=3,x-systemd.automount,retry=0,x-systemd.mount-timeout=3,x-gvfs-hide
fileserv.home:/media/downloads /media/downloads nfs proto=tcp,nfsvers=4.2,sec=krb5,rw,async,dirsync,acdirmax=3,noauto,retry=0,x-systemd.mount-timeout=3,user
fileserv.home:/media/public    /media/public    nfs proto=tcp,nfsvers=4.2,sec=krb5,rw,async,dirsync,acdirmax=3,noauto,retry=0,x-systemd.mount-timeout=3,user

Removing "nofail" but adding either "noauto" or "x-systemd.automount" leads
to "Before=remote-fs.target" being added to the systemd generated mounts
(thereby ensuring the proper ordering on shutdown), but can't actually
hang the startup because they aren't hard dependencies of it.  I did testing
by rebooting the system while playing a video from one of my media mounts,
and all of the mounts (both the automounted home directory and the one I
hand mounted afterwards) were unmounted only after the user session stopped.

As to this concern:
> But automounts have the dedicated issue that they hang the system for 90
> seconds (default timeout) if the network share server or network is down

If you see above, I changed the timeout to 3 seconds on my automount and
that seems to do the trick :)

Cheers,

--
Matt