Re: mounts with "nofail" can be unmounted on shutdown before "After=*-fs.target" units

Hi Lennart,

thanks for answering.

If the mount really does not matter, is expected to take long or fail, wouldn't "noauto" be the better choice, and in case "x-systemd.automount"?

The problem is, if we add "nofail" to a network mount, and it fails, it causes the shutdown issue for all other network mounts, since remote-fs.target fails, and hence looses its ability to order unmounts on shutdown: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/17221
And a failing local-fs.target can prevent login prompts to appear at all.

Of course we could (and mostly do) use automounts, where "nofail" is not needed, because they are not part of the initial boot schedule, but are ordered properly on shutdown, if automount kicked in. But automounts have the dedicated issue that they hang the system for 90 seconds (default timeout) if the network share server or network is down, respectively a local drive is not available. When any automount point is accessed during boot, it further hangs the system forever, which I did not understand yet (why not only for 90 seconds). I wanted to create a dedicated threat or issue about this, but here it just matters that there are cases where x-systemd.automount is not suitable for other reasons.

Basically, what I am missing, is a way to have mounts attempted at boot, properly ordered into boot schedule, without affecting the following boot (and shutdown) schedule in any way on failure, but have them properly ordered into shutdown cycled when their mount succeeded, or if they were manually mounted later.

Best regards,

Micha