undo "systemctl edit"

Hi!

By mistake I added a [Timer] section to a service unit (instead of timer unit) using “systemctl edit …”. After realizing the mistake, I used “systemctl edit …” again to remove all lines.

However this caused to keep the file in place, not canceling the edit.

So I wonder: Wouldn’t it make more sense to REMOVE the override file if it’s empty (and the containing directory too if it’s empty then)?

If the user must remove such files, it’s a rather messy interface.

After all, every editor has a “cancel” (quit without saving changes), so I don’t see the sense in this unexpected behavior (even when documented).

Ulrich