Re: Please clarify osVersion in ELF package metadata

On Tue, 2024-06-18 at 10:13 -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 11:24:22AM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:

> > > IMHO, a rolling release is just that - it is self explanatory.  Debian and
> > > Ubuntu are definitely not that.  In your given scenario, the packages should
> > > be rebuilt for the current OS Release with the metadata bumped even if it
> > > is the same version o said package.  Also, you will definitely be bumping
> > > the c libraries with each OS version bump, so you would always want to
> > > re-compile them with the current libraries and keep them separate via the
> > > OS release based repository directories - yes?  I think over-engineering
> > > is going on here :)
> >
> > No, Debian and Ubuntu are much bigger than other distributions.
> > Currently there are 38,579 source packages in Ubuntu. We will not
> > rebuild them every six month for a new release. There will be new builds
> > of the package in case it gets updated/changed or a used library
> > transitions from one ABI to another.
>
> How long (in terms of machine time) would be needed to rebuild the
> world?  Fedora does do mass rebuilds for each release.

That depends on the speed of the architecture. Data from our test
rebuilds: Between 1 week for amd64 and 4 weeks for riscv64. The time
needed for rebuilds would be much longer in reality due to dependency
chains, build failures that needs fixing, etc.

How many source package does Fedora have? How long does the rebuild take
in Fedora?

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer