Please clarify osVersion in ELF package metadata

Hi,

Ubuntu started to implement the ELF package metadata spec. It encodes
the VERSION_ID from os-release in the osVersion field. Using VERSION_ID
was objected to because the version is only set in stone once the
release is done. It could change during the development cycle. See
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2024-June/043027.html
and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/2069599

The proposal is to use VERSION_CODENAME from os-release instead.

To me it is not clear enough what is the best approach regarding the
spec https://systemd.io/ELF_PACKAGE_METADATA/ here.

The key description says "typically"? So could we just use
VERSION_CODENAME for osVersion?

Or should be use a different key like osVersionCodename to allow third-
party users to still use VERSION_ID for osVersion? In that case
osVersionCodename should probably added to the well-known keys.

What's your take on it?

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer