Re: Please clarify osVersion in ELF package metadata

I think it makes most sense for a distro to pick one thing and stick to it. Otherwise there's no good way to compare packages (i.e. imagine a custom build of libfoo relying on osVersion but the distro build relying on osVersionCodename - you can't programmatically tell if both packages are compatible with the same OS version).

The "typically" seems to imply that distros ultimately have flexibility here. If it makes most sense for Ubuntu to use codenames, you should use codenames there IMO.

Best,
Adrian