Re: confusion with systemd-repart

On So, 09.06.24 19:00, Xogium (contact@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hi,
> thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I'm sorry for the very
> late reply, I had an issue with my mail server and only sorted it out
> today.
>
> I had to jump through a couple of problems, but I've mostly got
> something stable now.
>
> The first is that all of the partitions needed for my bootloaders were
> all of type linux-generic. I ended up creating my own UUIDs so that
> repart doesn't try to match against them.
>
> The second one which I'm still no closer to figuring out is that upon
> running once successfully, subsequent invocations of repart (i.e: on
> next boot), appears to be racy in some way with my setup, and I see no
> way of figuring out why.

Hmm, generally, systemd-repart is declarative: it adjusts a disk only
if it doesn't match the declared state and otherwise is a NOP. Thus,
it generally should only have an effect on first boot, not on second
boot, because then things should already match the intended
declaration.

Or in other words: if things are racy on 2nd boot then not because
repart wasn't doing things right (it isn't doing anything after all),
but because of other reasons?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin